Sunday, January 23

and more

More cheerful shit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/23/arts/23rich.html

Frank Rich has become one of my favorite lefties. He does social and political commentary as seen through the lens of popular arts & media -- usually TV and film -- and he's really, really good at it. Terrific writer, too.

For you Caine fans out there:

Right now, it looks like I might be able to retcon my recon of CBK, to save most of the 200-plus pages already written; it's hard to say. The pieces are a jumble right now . . . I've tossed them up into the fog, and they descend in a slow-motion tumble. I have a hunch that they will click into place, but right now it's only a hunch.

It's exactly the sensation described in HEROES DIE, when Caine's preconceived notions of the situation are shattered and the shards fall into a new shape.

It just hasn't quite happened yet. The old brain just ain't as fast as it used to be.

Probably the meds.


2 comments:

Ben said...

I'm glad you're back. I enjoy reading the updates on your books and the political commentary.

I finally picked up Iron Dawn and it was awesome. Jericho Moon makes more sense to me now. They tie in very well together.

Thank you so much for Heroes Die though. I gave a copy to my girlfriend for Christmas and she apparently "really, really liked it."

Cora said...

Good article, though the problem is hardly confined to the US media. The outcome of the Abu Ghraib trial did get a mention on the German TV news, but the dominating topic on that day was the murder of a celebrity.

I suspect that making the people forget the torture scandal is almost certainly part of the reason why the trial was not more widely reported. What is more, the US news media seems to be almost pathologically afraid of "liberal bias" (which is a joke, people who think that the New York Times is a communist rag would explode on contact with the German leftwing paper taz).

But the bigger problem here is that at least for the TV news, a story is always more significant when there are pictures (preferably spectacular pictures) to go with it. Better when it involves a spectacular murder and even better when it involves a celebrity. Hence the amount of coverage heaped on the relatively insignificant OJ Simpson trial.