Wednesday, February 16

GFGROTSTB pt 2

One of these days I'm gonna have to learn how to actually USE a computer, as opposed to just typing on one.

One of those old Mac macros would be useful, so I don't have to type Great Friggin' Gonzo REVENGE OF THE SITH Tour Blog Entry #Whateverthefuck each time I update it.

Anyway, TheForce.Net reports that I now have five cities confirmed on the Right Coast, and the GFGROTST is spreading toward the Left like one of those virus projections on 24 . . .

So that's all. No real news, other than I just cut 20000 words out of CAINE BLACK KNIFE.

Yes, that's the right number of zeroes.

Twenty thousand fucking words.

My recon/retcon of the story has rendered superfluous a great deal of the shit over which I have squeezed blood from my own eyeballs to create.


For example, in my orginal (now vanished) version, Act One consisted of interleaved episodes from the "modern day" [some 3 years post-BLADE] and flashes of the uncut, unedited Master of RETREAT FROM THE BOEDECKEN, the Adventure that made Caine a star, in roughly 15 - 20 page increments . . . just enough to deliver quick smacks of action and emotional content . . . and they were arranged in such a way to elegantly contrast and comment upon each other, to set the older and theoretically more mature Caine against his 25-year-old self . . . it was all very artistic, and literary, and would have given someone a swell subject for his or her masters thesis in Litcritshit a hundred years from now.

But y'know, screw that shitpile.

The other day I decided to see what the story would look like if I put all the RETREAT stuff together. Right in a row. Which is not how I wrote it to be, but what the hell.

It turned out to be eighty pages that literally had me jumping out of my chair. Jesus, what a vicious little sonofabitch he was . . .

On the other hand, The Powers that Be -- who were hoping that the violence would be toned down -- well . . .

It IS toned down.


As long as you don't have a vivid imagination.



As Caine would say, I am who I am.

Fuckin' sue me.

9 comments:

Barb said...

i'm totally digging Bloglines--it lets me know right away when you update.

speaking of writing, you recommended a fiction writing book to me once, but i can't remember the title. do you remember?

can you please tell me what it's called? i'd appreciate it!

btw, i've changed the font on all my MS's to courier. lol

Robert James said...

You know I was wondering if there was going to be any pressure to tone down your material. With the increased exposure from Star Wars, along with using the blog as a marketing tool/tour journal I would be surprised if someone didn't bring it up. However I'm glad you're standing firm and not planning on giving us a watered-down Caine anytime soon.

Ben said...

I'm guessing that the powers that be are Del Rey. I'm surprised publishers would do something as horrid as recommending that authors bowdlerize their own material. It's not like books are slaved to a rating system like films are. Thanks for keeping it real, and hopefully you can stop by DC sometime around April.

Mastadge said...

Barb: Probably WRITING TO SELL by Scott Meredith.

And hot damn but I can't wait for CBK.

Chris said...

Yeh I was gonna say writing to sell. Certainly it's the one in the Heroes Die interview. I bought a copy on Amazon but it hasn't arrived...

Fun stuff on the book, Matt, can I have the 20000 cut words for The Hero's Fallacy? Ha! Sounds interesting, looking forward to the finished product.

creativelapse said...

What Robert James said about marketing. Didn't one of your editors reccomend using your blog as a public tour log? Sounds like a fine way to break that 1-2% SW reader layover, Matt.

MWS said...

Barb --

Mastadge is right, as usual. WRITING TO SELL, by Scott Meredith: the Bible of fictive structure, and of a good many other things relating to successful writing as well.

This will be a public tour blog, of which excerpts will be appearing weekly on the Del Rey website, with some of the naughty bits cleaned up; there has apparently also been some interest from friggin' AOL(!) . . .

Barb said...

thanks, guys!

gabe said...

And to think, we almost had to fracking get down and wrestle to convince you that Blogging Is A Good Thing.

Now quit cutting words! Pretty soon, CBK is going to sound like a dead cities novel, for peat's sake.

(Like that?)